An interview of Dr Anwara Syed Haq published in Star Literature page on 4th Sep 10.


Anwara Syed Haq is a prominent writer in the realm of Bangla literature. She began writing short stories in her teens. This year she won the Bangla Academy Shahitya Puroshkar for her outstanding contributions in the literary world. She was born in 1940 in Jessore, where she spent her adolescent years. She obtained her MBBS degree in 1965 and in 1973 went to the United Kingdom for higher education. She returned home in 1982. She has since then worked at a number of institutions, among which are Bangladesh Biman, Dhaka Medical College and BIRDEM. Even though she works professionally as a psychiatrist, her presence in the literary arena has always been very pronounced. So far she has written more than fifty books. She has been awarded the Annanya Shahitya Puroshkar, Agrani Bank Puroshkar, Michael Madhushudhon Puroshkar and Shishu Academy Puroshkar, besides a host of others.

Recently the writers' group Gantha, initiated by Prof Niaz Zaman, accorded a reception to the eminent writer. On the occasion, Jackie Kabir talked to her about her writing career.

Jackie Kabir: We know you have two very prominent identities --- one a writer, the other a psychiatrist. Is there any conflict between the two?

Anwara Syed Haq: There is of course a delineation. They are totally two different terrains. But I deal with it very consciously. When I do my work as a person of science I am totally devoted to science; while I write I totally devote myself to my writing. A person has many different roles in life. We all perform these different roles by transforming ourselves at every necessary interval. We are in fact compartmentalized and we act according to those compartments and portray ourselves as such while dealing with different situations. I play the role of a writer, a mother, a wife and a physician. There are different domains for all of the roles. The patients I deal with are mentally unwell and the people living around me are mentally sound. But I always find a connection, a channel between the two. A mentally sound person may become unwell in no time and vice versa. So there is no conflict as far as I am concerned.

JK: You have just mentioned the many different roles you have to play. So how do you find the time to write?

ASH: I take writing as a habitual thing, like eating, sleeping and all. Whenever people ask me this question I say that a person must take up writing in her daily routine. I am saying 'her' because there are all women writers here. You must remember that if you want to write then you must read a lot. Much more than you write. A writer must find her time for both. Once Pablo Neruda was asked how he found the time to write when he worked as an ambassador for Chile. He answered that he was a full time poet and a part time ambassador. I would also like to mention here that I am a part time physician and a full time writer. I forget that I am a physician when I write. Writing becomes my only passion.

JK: I would say that it's a very big sacrifice . . .

ASH: You see, I decline offers to come on television as a doctor. But if it's a literary program then I always accept it. It is because I have always wanted to be a writer since my childhood. But somehow I got deviated from my goal and became a physician. I think I identify with my writer self more than I do with my other profession. I have advised the other writers, like Mohit Kamal and Zakir Talukder, to shun their profession as physicians if they really want to become writers.

JK: How do you choose your subjects?

ASH: My subjects are all around me. I go to the slums, to the brothels and collect the ingredients for my stories. I went to the central jail a couple of years back. My patients are the biggest subjects of my writing. I spend so much time with my patients that they get annoyed and seek my permission to leave sometimes.

You collect your materials all the time. Even the man standing behind the counter may be your subject. People who walk around you could be your subject. I study people who could at some point become the ingredients for my writing.

JK: I think then we can say that your two professions complement each other. Am I right?

ASH: I always have my eyes and ears open for collecting raw materials for my writing. One must always collect them at all times. I sometimes sit with girls who get arrested by the police. They warn me that even I may get arrested. But I really don't mind. I will have a new experience if I get arrested.

JK: We know that you have already written more than fifty books. Is there any book among these that you like the best?

ASH: You must remember that when a writer is creating something she is not at peace. Even the most interesting things may not hold your attention right then. The moment you finish writing and send the manuscript off to a publisher you tend to forget about it and also feel relieved. Then you start looking for something new to write on, a new theme, new characters and a new setting.

JK: You have mentioned that in order to write one has to read a lot. Have you read a lot of authors? Is there anyone who may have influenced you and your writing?

ASH: No, not even my husband's writing could influence me. I started writing at the age of fourteen and had also been published by then. So I had already entered my literary world by then. When I met him I had already made my niche in the world of writing. I had developed a way of thinking. I met Syed Haq as I liked him as a writer. But in no way has he influenced my writing.

JK: What about Rabindranath Tagore?

ASH: Of course I have read Rabindranath, Manik Bondhopadhyay, Tarashankar and Bankim but I can't say I have been influenced by them. I have tried to develop my own literary style. But, yes, I read a lot. One has to read in order to write.

JK: There are two writers in your family and both are very prominent in their own right. I would like to know if that creates any conflict. Do you discuss your writings?

ASH: Not at all. We don't discuss our writings at all. But, yes, I do seek my husband's help in spellings. I have a problem with Bengali spellings which I have to look up in the dictionary. Why should I waste my time when I have a walking dictionary in my house?

You see, I was educated to be a physician and was away from the language for a long time.

JK: Why were you named Anwara Syed Haq?

ASH: Everybody asks me this question. People say, 'You claim that you are an independent woman, so how come you have a parochial name?' You see, I was named Anwara Begum. I tried to modernize it by adding a 'Chowdhury' to it. But nobody noticed it. After I got married I was lamenting about this. My husband told me that maybe my name was very old fashioned and that's why people didn't notice it. Why didn't I change it to Anwara Syed Haq and see what happened? I did so, without realizing he was making me use his name.

JK: You were awarded this year's Bangla Academy Puroshkar. What is your reaction to that?

ASH: I got the prize, yes, but one must remember it was after writing for so long, towards the end of my career. By then I had already learnt all the tools of the trade, I had earned the confidence of being a good writer. I may not be a great writer but I am a good writer. So the award I got was really coincidental. Even so I am happy to get it.

When my name was announced I was surprised and happy for two reasons. One, the TV cameras started running towards me, which was something new for me. And, two, some young journalists came and asked me about my life, about my writing and wrote down what I said, which also made me happy.

JK: How you evaluate the women writers of our country?

ASH: I am very optimistic about them. There are some writers in this room right now who are very promising. I have faith in them. I would just request them to keep on writing and then, Insha'Allah, one day they will reach their goal.

Jackie Kabir is a writer, critic and reviewer

Comments

rakib said…
I just read your "khubdho shonglap". This book influenced me and my friends a lot seeing how creatively you write. I was very eager to know about you and finally I read this interview. You are a superb writer in our country as well as in Asia.
Thanks to you from all our young generation women.
It is also our life-custom.

Popular posts from this blog

Perek, a collection of short stories

Unending love of a bygone era:Jackie Kabir is delighted after a reread of Nohonnote, a classic of Bengali literature by author Maitreyi Devi